Welcome to our English Language Tests feature
* * content updated APRIL 2021 * *
Teaching English as a Foreign Language entails:
- Developing students’ verbal and written comprehension skills.
- English being one of the most widely spoken languages around the globe makes it the link of communication between people of diverse linguistic skills.
- Preparing students from non-English speaking nations to effectively shape their academic success.
Find English LanguageTeachers
Many famous institutions such as Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge, and MIT consider students who can speak good English and it is the major reason for admission in these Ivy League universities. Besides, such teachers are the ones who can make a diagnosis for the psychological elements that intervene in the process of learning. As a result, when they identify elements impacting the performance of learners or students, they can effectively make a positive change in the process to communicate and obtain learning.
Therefore, students can improve or learn English to make a mark abroad or in the UK.
Qualifications as an English Language teacher
There are various qualifications that an English language teacher needs to acquire before teaching English to people who use it as a foreign language. Some of the qualifications are explained below:
TEFL programs are intended for teachers/educators who plan to go overseas for teaching students in a nation where the primary language is not English. The standard requirements for the work in TEFL are a university degree and a teaching qualification. A person needs to have a TEFL certification in order to teach EFL in private language schools overseas and some private language educational institutions in the UK. It is also known that one does not require having any formal experience or qualifications to enrol on a TEFL course. If he/she can speak English well enough they can easily receive a TEFL certificate.
TESL (Teaching English as a second language):
Similarly, to TEFL, TESL prepares educators to teach English to non-English speakers. To qualify as a TESL, an individual requires a graduate degree in any discipline. Or a degree in language or linguistics. Or a TEFL certification. However, there are no fixed criteria as different countries have different requirements.
TESOL (Teaching English to speakers of other languages):
TESOL methodology training is key for non-native English speakers residing in an English-speaking country. To receive a TESOL certificate, an individual will require to complete TESOL training either through online or in-class courses.
How to choose the right teacher for you
It is best to check whether the teacher is qualified in TEFL, TESL, etc. One should always ask for certification so that the genuineness of the qualification can be proved.
Experienced to deal with non-native speakers
A teacher of English as a foreign language should have experience dealing with their students. Having a proper amount of experience makes a teacher learn about the nerves of the students. Hence the teacher then knows where the student needs to improve.
Knowing multiple languages
A sign of a good teacher of English as a foreign language will be to know diversified languages and cultures. This way the student will feel confident to communicate with the teacher. Knowing different languages helps the teacher to be empathetic towards their students as they can connect linguistically. Moreover, all problems which the student face can be easily sought once the teacher knows the language, hence there will be no hiccups while the lessons are being taught.
Length of course
A non-native speaker has a time limit to learn English as a foreign language as they are learning for a purpose. Hence, a good English teacher of a foreign language should have different plans for teaching English within different time frames. They should be able to switch between their techniques of teaching English as per the demands of the foreign students. This way the student will be able to finish their English course within time.
English Lanaguage Test IELTS Indicator
IELTS (International English Language Testing System), provider of this commonly recommended English language test, has launched the IELTS Indicator test in response to the pandemic.
IELTS Indicator is a timed online test assessing English language skills in listening, reading, writing and speaking; students take it online from home. The speaking element of the test is taken via video call with a trained IELTS examiner.
Many institutions around the world are accepting IELTS Indicator, and you can use this list to check if your chosen university is among them. Since this is a new test, few universities have announced a minimum score requirement. It’s best to contact your institution’s international office directly for more information.
This test is only offered in some countries, and even though it’s taken online from home, you still need to book a place on the test at a specific time. You can check if your home country is offering IELTS Indicator and book your test appointment here.
IELTS Indicator is intended to be a temporary alternative to face-to-face exams while test centres are shut and may well be discontinued or updated once Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
English language tutor
Duolingo English Language Test
- Another test that has become widely accepted by universities is the Duolingo English Test (DET). This test can be taken anywhere in the world at any time, without needing to book a slot, making it a convenient option. Results are available within 48 hours.
- The test includes a graded section to evaluate reading, speaking and listening skills, and a recorded video section where you answer open-ended questions. The test lasts for an hour.
- More institutions are happy to accept DET scores, and you can use this search tool to check if your university accepts them.
- Since the test has only become widely accepted in 2021, most universities haven’t stated a minimum required score. However, many of the Ivy League universities in the US have indicated that they expect a score of around 120.
- This is a good general indicator of what to aim for. You can see how the DET test scores compare to traditional proficiency exams such as the TOEFL iBT here.
English language tutor
TOEFL iBT English Language Test
- The iBT was designed to be taken at physical test centres, so the company has since released the TOEFL iBT Home Edition and TOEFL ITP Plus for China as alternatives that can be taken at home while Covid-19 restrictions are in place.
- These alternative tests mimic the original iBT in content, format, onscreen experience, scoring and pricing. The TOEFL ITP Plus for China also includes a video interview conducted by a Chinese firm called Vericant. Results are available 10 days after the test date.
- You can use ETS’s search tool to check if your institution accepts these tests.
- These are usually available on university websites. Note that some universities will stipulate a minimum overall score as well as minimum sub-scores in the separate competencies of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
English language tutor
Where it is not made explicitly clear, contact your university directly to double-check that they expect the same scores for the TOEFL iBT Home Edition and the TOEFL ETP Plus for China as they do for the iBT.