Prep school 8+ exams intro
9+ exams are used by various independent schools for entry into Year 5. While most schools have an entrance at 7+ for entry into Year 3, some schools have entry into Year 4 and these are known as the 8+ entrance examinations.
Our premium 8 plus exams practice includes both
- Maths prep school 8 plus practice papers and
- English 8+ prep school practice.
- These 8+ practice papers are also excellent 9 plus prep school exam preparation.
FREE Sample English 8+ and Maths 8+ papers
- Maths 8+ Sample Paper 1
- 8+ English Sample Paper 1
- English 8+ Sample Paper 2
- 8+ Maths Sample Paper 2
When do 8+ exams happen?
8 plus examinations happen at the start of the Spring term in Year 3 for entry into Year 4 the following September.
London Schools using 8 plus Exams
- Chepstow House
- Dulwich College
- Garden House School
- Ibstock Place Prep School
- King’s College Junior School
- St Paul’s Juniors (formerly Colet Court)
- St Philip’s Roman Catholic Prep School
- Sussex House School
- Westminster Under School
- Westminster Cathedral Choir School
- Wetherby Preparatory School
Our Other Prep School Entrance Exams
8+ examination for prep school entry
The ISEB pretests described in the YouTube video above are used to select students for Year 2 entry into top schools across the country.
How best to use School Entrance Tests‘ 8+ past papers
Step by step guide to using 8+ School Entrance Tests‘ past papers
- You need to search the School Entrance Tests‘ Index to access 8+ entry practice past papers.
- Check that you have the correct exam format for the prep school you are applying for here.
- Download the most recent 8+ exam papers available on that page or post for your child to go through.
- Schedule revision sessions at least once a week. Ideally first thing in the morning on either Saturday or Sunday. Ideally both days!
- Initially, use the first 1-2 revision sessions to familiarise your child with the 8+ exam format and the different types of question in the 8+ exam.
- As they complete more practice 8+ papers (from earlier academic years) your child will perfect their 8+ exam technique*
- Note those sub-tests (for example the 11 plus for grammar school entry has four separate papers or subtests.
Our notes for using past school entry papers
Firstly, the above Guide to using 8+ past papers may occur alongside your child’s tutor.
Also, we also offer more challenging past 8+ papers for revision. These are supplied by our practice 8+ exam partners because of their reputaiton for providing high quality and engaging online (mock) exams. We recommend incorporately these at the asterisked step 5. *