Welcome to our latest 11+ exam 2021 feature, How The 11+ Exam Has Changed This Year.
Why You Should Start Preparing Now for the 11+ exam 2021
What is the 11+ exam 2021
The 11+ is an examination used by most grammar schools to admit the brightest students to their institutions. The examination consists of four main sections:
– 11+ English exam 2021
– Maths 11+ exam 2021
– 11+ Verbal Reasoning 2021
– Non-Verbal Reasoning 11+ 2021
Why is the 11+ exam important?
The 11+ exam 2021 is important as it is the first major exam that students take which will have a significant impact on their education. Passing the 11+ is crucial for getting into the majority of leading grammar schools in the UK, as well as some independent schools.
What are the 2021 11+ exams?
- There are two main exam boards for the 11+: the CEM (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring) and GL (Granada Learning).
- The exam board that you will be sitting this year depends on the county of the schools you are applying to.
- Although the exam board you will be sitting is usually dependent on the county, there are some exceptions to this.
- Therefore, it is important to ask the school you are applying to which exam board they require.
- The CEM assessment consists of Numerical reasoning, Verbal reasoning and Non-
- In contrast to this, the GL assessment consists of English, Maths, Non-verbal reasoning and Verbal reasoning.
- Due to the difference in topics between the two exam boards, there are different methods to revise for each exam board. These
methods will be covered later on in this blog post.
Key 11+ exam 2021 Dates
- April 2021: Most grammar schools open registration in April/May and the deadline is generally around June or July for parents to register their child for the 11+ exam. However there is some variability, so it is important to check the precise dates with the schools you are applying to. Some counties such as Buckinghamshire automatically enter all primary children for the 11+ exam and parents can then choose to opt out to
withdraw their child from the process.
- September 2021: For most grammar schools, the 11+ exam will occur during the first two weeks in September 2021. However, this year there are quite a few differences in when the exam will occur, and the dates range from September to October. Here are
some key dates to watch out for:
- October 2021: 11+ results will be posted in mid-October 2021. However, depending on when the exam occurs in your county, this may differ.
- March 2022: School allocations are confirmed on 1 March 2022.
- September 2022: New intake begins Year 7 at grammar schools across the UK.
How the 11+ exam 2021 has changed this year
Unlike last year, the 11+ has not changed much this year despite the effects that the pandemic has had on education and schooling. Exams will be in person this year in contrast to the exams being online last year. Furthermore, there has been little to no change in the content. That said, most counties have delayed the date for the examination. Due to the exams being pushed back, results day has also been postponed. Some schools will still be carrying out interviews in addition to the usual exams, although this is not the case for all schools.
This year many students have had a far lower quality of education as many teachers have had to adapt to teaching online and a significant number of students struggled to continue learning as normal. Due to this, revision and revision methods will be vital this year to ace the 11+ exam as plenty of content was not covered by schools. An effective method of catching up on missed work is by getting a tutor or using a free tutoring app such as EasyA. Apps such as EasyA give free 1:1 maths tuition to students from passionate tutors that are keen to teach. The majority of EasyA tutors attend leading
universities around the country such as Cambridge and Oxford.
How best to prepare for the 11+ exam 2021
To ace your 11+, you must make sure that you use your last few months leading up to the examination as effectively as possible. Here are some steps that you can follow to ace the 11+ this year:
- Create a list of all the topics that will be coming up in the test for each section. Then complete a handful of exam-style questions for each topic and put a tick or cross next to the name of the topic depending on how confident you feel on it. This is crucial as it will prevent you from wasting your precious time on topics that you have already mastered rather than spending time on the topics that you actually struggle with. It is also important to update the list after you’ve mastered a new topic!
- Little and often. It is important to revise topics frequently no matter how little you do. This is because it helps solidify the information in your mind. One good way to ensure that you are revising little and often is by doing ten-minute tests. There are lots of books by CGP and Bond which have these ten-minute tests for each section to check your understanding of the topic.
11 plus exam 2021 preparation tips
- It is also vital to do frequent 11+ mock exams. Mock exams are great to practice exam technique as well as to get used to exam conditions. Mock exams allow you to work under the time limit meaning that you practice working under time pressure. These examinations can also be used to track topics that you commonly lose marks on which you can then focus on. Alongside this, results from mock exams can be a good indicator of how well you are doing.
- Arguably the most difficult aspect of the 11+ is vocabulary and verbal reasoning. The best method to improve your vocabulary and comprehension skills is by reading books and articles. Whilst reading, it is very useful to write down any words that you don’t know the meaning of… then to learn what they mean and how to use them in a sentence. This is a great way of perfecting your English for the 11 plus exam 2021.
Why use 11 plus exam 2021 tuition?
One of the best ways to prepare for the 11+ is by getting a tutor or using an app that provides 1:1 tuition.
Although tuition isn’t necessary to pass the 11+, it gives you a huge advantage and helps you prepare for the exam.
Tuition is especially useful if you are applying to competitive schools. If you can’t afford 1:1 tuition, EasyA is the only app to provide it completely free.
Furthermore, EasyA allows students to get maths help and tuition whenever they need it – without having to wait. Our tutors all attend the top universities across the country and the app was awarded ‘App of the Day’ by Apple.
More information on how EasyA works is available here.
Will the 11+ exam 2021 have a higher pass mark?
All students sitting the 11+ this year will be in the same situation so although it may seem unfair, it is a level playing field. Furthermore, you can capitalise on this situation by preparing and revising – something a lot of students simply haven’t learned how to do.
Using 11+ exam tutoring services
The EasyA app can put you at a major advantage, enabling you to ace the 11+. Particularly as passing the 11+ in 2021 does not guarantee you at place at those grammar schools with other selection factors.
In 2021, some grammar schools will interview for the right fit. Student distance from the grammar school is another key factor. Plus, many schools look at whether or not you have any siblings that have attended or are attending the school.
11+ exam blogs
We hope this blog has helped you understand:
- How the 11+ has changed this year.
- The best ways to approach the 11+ examination.
- Some core information regarding the 11+.
For the most challenging 11+ exam 2021 questions, you can contact EasyA’s expert tutors on our app!
11 Plus Test Taking Tips
Secondly, we also published an 11 plus 2021 feautre called What has changed about the 11 plus 2021?