Welcome to our which secondary school guide, which includes the top top secondary schools UK league tables 2021.
Where to find top secondary school league tables
The Guardian, The Times and The Telegraph websites allow you to add filters to their published secondary school league tables.
You can pull out the top secondary schools nearby. Then compare your chosen secondary school group on those criteria which are most important to you.
How do I interpret secondary school league tables?
The secondary school league table rankings are going to be based on the national GCSE and A-Level exams. Non-exam based criteria may are also used to determine the rankings.
You need to conduct your own analysis to determine which secondary school best suits your child’s specific needs.
Ofsted Reports for secondary schools
Check the latest Ofsted report too. Each Ofsted report is an analysis of that secondary school’s teachers’ professional competence Plus, whether Ofsted’s performance standards have been met across the secondary school. There are three possible outcomes: under-achieving; achieving; or outstanding.
When are my local secondary school open days?
So now you need to visit each secondary school of interest.
You can find details here.
Why are independent schools so popular?
The independent schools results below reveal that state schools are starting to close the gap in the independent sector. Below we have a closer look at these results and what they mean.
Thirdly, prep school league tables 2021. And finally, primary school league tables 2021.
Also our Best North W
Secondary school league tables 2021
- Harrow Borough of London, 020 8954 3623
- Girls-only school for students aged 11-18 is in Harrow area in London.
- Every year 210 new girls enter the school for Year 7.
- Comprehensive school with acceptance based on living in the catchment area.
- Bexley London Borough, 020 8304 8538
- Co-educational Bexley grammar school.
- Admittance to school is subject to successful exam results (maths and English).
- Average point of IB results 2018 was 33.1 and…
- …for A levels, 37% of A* grades and 68% of A*/A grades.
- Camden London Borough, 020 7485 3414
- Comprehensive school for girls 11-18 years old.
- Camden School for Girls is then fully co-educational at sixth form.
- Approx 1000 pupils.
- Special status of music college. Hence, those who demonstrate musical excellence may be prioritised.
- Camden School for Girls became fully comprehensive so entry is therefore ‘non-selective’. Although, there is an ability banding test used for Year 7 placement. Girls .
- A-level results 2019 – 15% of all grades are A*, 45% of all grades are A* – A.
- Kensington and Chelsea London Borough
- Catholic school for boys primarily, however Cardinal Vaughan accept girls for its sixth form.
- 950 children and every year 124 new boys start here.
- No entrance exam but the school is church-affiliated. Hence, requires the necessary Catholic priest endorsed application.
- A level results 2019: 46% of the grades were A* & A, 14% of the grades were A*
Dame Alice Owen’s School
- Founded in 1613 and initially a boys school, Dame Alice Owen’s is now a fully coeducational school for children aged 11-18.
- Voluntary-aided school and admits children regardless of abilities.
- 65 children out of 200 are selected, however, based on aptitude.
- Plus,10 more places for musically gifted children.
- A-level results: 29% of all grades were A* and 63% of all results were A*/A combined.
Top secondary schools guide
- Haringey, 020 8365 4400
- Comprehensive school for boys and girls in north London.
- Fortismere School admits approx. 250 children each year to Year 7.
- A-Level exam results: 42% of all grades attained were an A or above.
Years 7 to 11 – Palingswick House, 241 King Street, Hammersmith, London, W6 9LP
- Comprehensive school for children 11-18 years old. A-level results 2019 – 30% A*/A
Grey Coat Hospital School
Henrietta Barnett School
Top secondary schools guide
Holland Park School
Ilford County High School
- Selective boys-only school for children aged 11-18. The admission is based on the results of entrance exams.
King’s College London Mathematics School
80 Kennington Road, London, SE11 6NJ
Tel: 020 7848 7346
- The 6th form coeducational school for children of 16-18 years, situated in Lambeth area of London. The school is new and only opened its doors in 2014.
- King’s College London Mathematics School cooperates closely with King’s College London University and aims to provide school students with high quality education in maths.
- The maths school was founded based on the example of a Russian School of Maths and Physics which was opened in Moscow in 1965 by a leading mathematician of the 20th century Andrey Kcholmogorov.
- King’s College Maths School is a selective school and applying candidates face a huge competition. In 2018 the school recieved around 500 applications for 70 places.
- In order to be admitted to school a candidate needs to sit entrance examinations.
- Those who passed the exams successfully are invited for an interview.
- Kings teaches a limited number of subjects – Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Economics.
- The students sit A-level exams in the end of school and have to write Extended Project Qualification (EPQ).
- A-level results 2019 -60% – A*, 91% – A*/A. 100% of all A Level grades for Maths were A or A* grades.
top Secondary school league tables
Lady Margaret School
London Academy of Excellence
Top secondary schools guide
London Oratory School
Catholic school for boys 7-18 and girls 16-18 years old. The school admits students from Catholic families.
Menorah High School for Girls
105 Brook Road, Dollis Hill, London , NW2 7BZ
This is a London voluntary-aided school for Jewish girls aged 11-18. A-level results 2019 – 45% of all grades were A* -A.
Newham Collegiate Sixth Form Centre (NCS)
Newstead Wood School
- London Borough of Suton, 020 8394 3400
- Grammar school for girls aged 11-18.
- A-level results – 22% A*, 55% A*/А
Queen Elizabeth’s School, Barnet
- Grammar schools for boys year after year getting top positions in the league tables based on the excellent performance in A-level subjects. The school admits boys at the age of 11 and the admission is based on the entrance exams results. A-level results 2018 – 46.9% – A* and 84.7% – A*/A.
Queen Elizabeth’s Girls’ School
- Grammar school for girls of 11-18 years old.
Sacred Heart High School
Catholic school for girls of 11-18 years old situated in London area of Hamersmith.
Top secondary schools guide
St Michael’s RC Grammar School
- London Borough Barnet, 020 84462256
- Catholic school for girls of 11-18 y o and boys of 16-18 y o. The school is situated in Finchly area in north London. Every year 96 new girls come to here to start in Year 7 and at least 30 boys start in Year 12 in Sixth form. The priority in admission is given to children from catholic families. In order to get admitted families must submit the Certificate of Catholic Practice as well as other documents.
- Other admission requirements for Year 7 – children, whose parents provided the necessary documents to confirm the catholic status will sit written tests in Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics. Following the tests all applicants will be ranked in order starting with the highest score.
- Places will be allocated strictly in accordance with the score. Admission requirements for Sixth form – at least 6 GCSE passes at grade 7 or above including at least a level 7 in English Language and Mathematics; at least a grade 7 at GCSE in the subjects (or those closely related to them) the applicants wish to study at A-Level. A-level results 2018 – 19.4% exams graded A* and 90% – A*/B grades.
St. Dominic’s Sixth Form College
- London Borough of Harrow, 020 8422 8084
- Catholic school for boys and girls aged 16-18 (6th form college).
- The college is situated in Harrow area in London and there are 900 children from catholic families. A-level results for 2019 is 32% of A*/A.
St Olave’s and St Saviour’s Grammar School
- Orpington, in Kent, 01689820101
- Grammar school for boys of 11-18 years and girls of 16-18, situated in Orpington town in the London borough of Bromley. Every year the school admits 124 boys to begin in Year 7.
- Admission is based on the entrance exams in reasoning, maths and English. For sixth form there are 110 places and admission is based on the school own entrance tests as well as GCSEs results.
London Borough of Sutton, 020 8642 3821
- Grammar school for boys aged 11-18 and girls aged 16-18.
- A-level results are 18% A* and 52% A*/A
Top secondary schools guide
Tiffin Girls’ School
- London borough of Kingston upon Thames, 020 8546 0773
- Grammar school, situated in Kingston-upon-Thames near London.
- The school admits 180 new girls every year.
- Successful candidates sit two rounds of entrance exams. The first round is for all candidates who applied to be admitted and includes Maths and English tests.
- The second round is only for the those who successfully passed the first round. The school gives priority to the girls who successfully passed the exams and who are living in the cathcment and designated area.
- Exam results for A-level 2018 are 37% A* and 74% A*-A.
- London borough of Kingston upon Thames, 020 8546 4638
- Grammar school for boys, situated in Kingston-upon-Thames near London.
- The school has a special status of a school with the emphasis on modern languages and arts.
- There are about 1000 boys.
- Every year the school welcomes 180 new boys for over 1000 applications. The admission is based on the entrance exams in Maths and English.
- A-level results: 26% A* and 62% A*-A, 85% of grades at A*-B.
Twyford Church of England High School
- London borough of Ealing, 020 8752 0141
- Co-educational school in Acton area of London.
- The school belongs to Church of England and admission priority is given to families who bring up their children in the Church of England faith.
- There are 1400 children at the age of 11-18 and the school specialises in modern languages study and music.
- Every year the school admits 190 children in Year 7, 150 places of which are given to CfE families, 21 – to families of other denominations and 19 – to children who displayed an aptitude to music studies.
top Secondary schools league tables 2021
- Wallington, 020 8647 2235
- Boys-only grammar school for children of 11-18 in Sutton area in London.
- There are 900 children and the school admits girls in sixth form. To be admitted to school children are expected to successfully pass the entrance exams.
- Sutton, 020 8647 2380
- All-girls grammar school for children aged 11-18 in Sutton area of London.
- There are 210 new girls annually and about 2000 apply. Totally 1300 girls study here. A level results 2018 are 18.9% of grades A*, 50.9% of grades A*/A.
Wembley High Technology College
- Royal borough of Brent, 020 8385 4800
- Co-educational school for children of 11-18 years old in Brent area of London. 1400 children apply to school every year to start in Year 7 for 210 places. Admission policy is based on catchment area.
Top secondary schools league tables
Mollison Drive, Wallington SM6 9JW
- Grammar school for boys in London area of Sutton.
- There are 1100 boys at the age of from 11-18 лет. The results in A-levels 2018: 38.55% of entries obtained an A* grade, 80.92% of entries obtained an A*–A grade.
Woodford County High School For Girls
- Redbridge, 020 8504 0611
- Grammar school for girls situated in Redbridge area of London.
- The school admits annually 180 girls in Year 7. The applicants sit entrance exams in September and in October the results become known.
Our other top schools UK guides