Welcome to our super-selective schools guide.
Benefits of super-selective schools
As well as the prestige, there are many benefits to gaining a place at a selective or super-selective school. For example:
- Your child is likely to be with like-minded peers who have a strong attitude to learning and a desire to do well.
- The schools have a particular focus on achievement and create a strong learning environment, in which they help their pupils achieve good results.
- A more traditional form of education is offered, with firm discipline considered a high priority.
- Your child may have a wider range of academic subjects to choose from at GCSE and A level, including single sciences, further maths and more languages.
Super-selectives in particular pride themselves on their academic results, and many of them have good links with the top universities, including Oxford and Cambridge.
But there are downsides. With competitiveness comes a pressured and potentially stressful environment, so it’s important to think about your own child and how they deal with things. Some children thrive on this kind of challenge, whereas others may find it difficult to cope and be more comfortable in a school where there is less academic pressure, even if they’re bright enough to qualify for a selective or super-selective school place.
ptitude Test Practice for teaching
- Firstly, here are our aptitude test tips.
- Secondly, here are our Abstract Reasoning Test Practice.
- Thirdly, here are our UKCAT Tips.
- Fourthly, here are our UKCAT Decision Analysis practice tests.
- Also then here are our verbal and numerical reasoning test practice.
- Plus, then, our LNAT Practice Tips.
- And finally, our LNAT Practice.
Teacher / Tutor Resources
Practice Paper and Pencil Tests
For more practice try our Paper & Pencil Tests with Answers on a separate sheet available for download:
11 Plus Non-Verbal Reasoning Practice Test One£3.49 – 11 Plus Non-Verbal Reasoning Practice Test Two
Verbal Reasoning 11 plus Practice Test One
11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Practice Test Two
Free – 11 Plus Maths Practice Test One.
Feedback Now! Our 10-Min Tests with immediate feedback
Our Ten Minute tests are very handy in getting that daily practice to stay ahead.
Try your hand at one or invest in a bundle. Ten-minute test practise might be just what you need.
Make sure to go through the answers at the end. Have a look at the steps in getting to the correct answer and make sure you understand. Try the test again.
Independent School Jobs
MATHS 10-MIN TESTS
ENGLISH 10-MIN TESTS
VERBAL REASONING 10-MIN TESTS
Our other Immediate Exam Feedback Maths, Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning Tests follow our regular blogs here.
Independent School Exams
Job specific psychometric test practice
Aptitude test practice books
Rob Williams’s five practice aptitude tests books are all available on Amazon:
Firstly, in our opinion Brilliant Passing Verbal Reasoning Tests is the best aptitude test practice book for Passing Verbal Reasoning Tests.
Secondly, in our opinion, Brilliant Passing Numerical Reasoning Tests is the best aptitude test practice book for Passing Numerical Reasoning Tests.
Our Other Best School guides
Finally, London Pre-Schools Guide.