Welcome to our comprehensive list of the Best Yorkshire schools 2021 below.
* * CONTENT last updated April 2021 * *
Competition in education is fierce in Yorkshire with a three-way tussle for supremacy between the independent, grammar and comprehensive sectors. Some of the best schools in the country are to be found here — underlined by the award of three Schools of the Decade in the four counties of Yorkshire.
The Grammar School at Leeds, last year’s winner of our North Independent Secondary School of the Year award, goes one better this year to become our regional Independent Secondary School of the Decade.
Although the region has six selective grammar schools, it is the northern comprehensives that carry off the prizes in our School of the Decade awards. Fulford School in York, one of the region’s educational hotspots, is named the UK Comprehensive School of the Decade, while Silverdale School, in Sheffield, is North State Secondary School of the Decade.
- Consistently excellent results (about 80% of A-level grades at A*-B, and 70% A*/A or 9-7 grades at GCSE).
- All students at GSAL, from nursery to sixth form, came together on one campus for the first time in September with the opening of a new primary school.
York has perhaps the best education provision in the north of England. Fulford has industrious pupils, inspirational teachers and supportive parents in a winning combination. About 80% of school leavers go to university — 25 of them to Oxbridge in the past five years — and a growing number opt for apprenticeships.
Sport is a big part of school life and students represent their school, county and country. Fulford nurtures a strong social conscience in its students, who also show a keen awareness of mental health issues in young people through a support group, Fulford Minds. The school is the second-highest ranked non-faith comprehensive in the UK and had the best A-level results of any Yorkshire state school in 2019.
Nearby, Archbishop Holgate’s School offers strong competition in the state sector, while St Peter’s School, alma mater to Guy Fawkes and our 2018 North Independent Secondary School of the Year, is the top-ranked independent school in the city. The high-performing Queen Ethelburga’s College and the Faculty of Queen Ethelburga’s lie beyond the city limits at Thorpe Underwood.
Silverdale School gained the best A-level results in Sheffield in 2019 and the steady rise in its results over the past 10 years helps it to land our North State Secondary School of the Decade award. The school ranks in the top 5% nationally for progress at A-level and is rated outstanding by Ofsted.
Top Yorkshire schools 2021
- Ripon Grammar Schoo
- Skipton Girls’ High School
- Ermysted’s Grammar School, Skipton
- Fulford School, York
- Archbishop Holgate’s School, York
- Silverdale School, Sheffield
- Heckmondwike Grammar School
- Beverley High School
- Tapton School, Sheffield
- The Crossley Heath School, Halifax
- The North Halifax Grammar School
- Ilkley Grammar School
- All Saints RC School, York
- Outwood Academy, Easingwold, nr York
- High Storrs School, Sheffield
- St Aidan’s C of E High School, Harrogate
- Huntington School, York
- Prince Henry’s Grammar School, Otley
- Harrogate Grammar School
- Notre Dame High School, Sheffield
Top independent Yorkshire schools
- Queen Ethelburga’s College, nr York
- St Peter’s School, York
- The Grammar School at Leeds
- The Faculty of Queen Ethelburga’s, nr York
- Bradford Grammar School
- Sheffield High School for Girls
- Wakefield Girls’ High School
- Queen Margaret’s School, York
- Hymers College, Hull
- Ampleforth College, nr York
- Birkdale School, Sheffield
- Harrogate Ladies’ College
- Hill House School, Doncaster
- Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Wakefield
- The Mount School, York
- Ashville College, Harrogate
- Pocklington School, Beverley
- Scarborough College
- Woodhouse Grove School, Apperley Bridge
- Ackworth School, Pontefract
And then finally, Good schools Northern Ireland league table 2021.
Top Yorkshire schools 2021