Find the best Scottish schools 2022 listed below.
Best state secondary schools Scotland 2022
1 Jordanhill School, Glasgow
2= St Ninian’s High School, Giffnock
2= Boroughmuir High School, Edinburgh
4 Mearns Castle High School, Glasgow
5 Dunblane High School
6 Bearsden Academy
7 Williamwood High School, Glasgow
8 Gryffe High School, Houston
9 Douglas Academy, Milngavie
10 Bishopbriggs Academy
11 Cults Academy, Aberdeen
12 Banchory Academy
13 Lenzie Academy
14 Eastwood High School, Newton Mearns
15 Balfron High School
16 North Berwick High School
17 James Gillespie’s High School, Edinburgh
18 Woodfarm High School, Thornliebank
19= Boclair Academy, Bearsden
19= Strathaven Academy
Best Scottish schools 2022
The top independent secondary schools in Scotland (Higher/Advanced Higher/National 5)
1 George Heriot’s School, Edinburgh
2 Hutchesons’ Grammar School, Glasgow
3 The High School of Glasgow
4 The Glasgow Academy, Glasgow
5 St Mary’s Music School, Edinburgh
6 St Margaret’s School for Girls, Aberdeen
7 The Mary Erskine School, Edinburgh
8 The Edinburgh Academy
9 St Columba’s School, Kilmacolm
10 Stewart Melville College, Edinburgh
11 Dollar Academy
12 St Aloysius’ College, Glasgow
13 George Watson’s College, Edinburgh
14 High School of Dundee
15 Albyn School. Aberdeen
16 Kilgraston, Perth
17 Lomond School, Helensburgh
18 Kelvinside Academy, Glasgow
19 Edinburgh Steiner School
The top independent secondary schools in Scotland (A-levels/IB/GCSE)
1 Fettes College*, Edinburgh
2 Merchiston School, Edinburgh
3 St Leonards School*, St Andrews
4 Glenalmond College, Perth
5 Loretto School, Musselburgh
*Ranked on A-level and IB, with GCSEs
Top Scottish schools 2021
East Renfrewshire breaks new ground in this year’s Parent Power as the first local authority to have all of its secondary schools in our rankings of the top 100 schools in Scotland.
Good Scottish schools 2022
Three of its seven schools, southwest of Glasgow – St Ninian’s High, in Giffnock, Mearns Castle High, in Newton Mearns, and Williamwood High, in Clarkston – are in the top 10. Eastwood High, also in Newton Mearns, is in 11th place.
- Last year’s rankings included six of the East Renfrewshire schools. This year Barrhead High makes it a full set, entering at 96.
- Neighbouring Renfrewshire has only two schools in the top 100, but one of them, Gryffe High School, in Houston, is named our Scottish State Secondary School of the Year.
- It has risen to its highest ranking yet (6=) following sparkling examination results in 2019, when 69% of pupils gained five or more Highers, 89% attained five or more National 5s and 31% got two or more Advanced Highers. The ranking gives a double weighting to performance in Higher examinations.
- As well as outstanding examination results, our School of the Year award acknowledges other factors. Gryffe High was the first school to achieve an “excellent” rating in the new-style Education Scotland school inspections.
- The school’s long-standing strategy has been to target wellbeing, attainment and achievement.
- The Glasgow Gaelic School and Hyndland Secondary School are among the city’s leading lights in education.
- Edinburgh takes the honours in the perpetual battle between Scotland’s two biggest cities, with nine schools in the top 100.
- Boroughmuir High and James Gillespie’s High, both former Schools of the Year, make the national top 10. Boroughmuir is second to Jordanhill this year.
- Edinburgh is also home to George Heriot’s School, the Scottish Independent Secondary School of the Decade.
- George Heriot’s was the top-performing independent school based on those examinations – with more than 90% of Higher and Advanced Higher grades at A or B.
- Its award recognises sustained academic excellence over the past 10 years as well as the philanthropic spirit that underpins the school.
- Almost 140 of the current school roll of 1,650 are on full or partial fee remission through a variety of means-tested bursaries, scholarships or, uniquely, places for children who have lost a parent.
- The school offers practical and emotional support for families following a bereavement.
- Children of all ages are heavily involved in charity and community initiatives.
- The oldest pupils, in S6, volunteer to look after younger children so their parents can attend support meetings without the worry of getting a babysitter.
Best Scottish schools 2022
Top state secondary schools in Scotland
- Jordanhill School, Glasgow
- Boroughmuir High School, Edinburgh
- St Ninian’s High School, Giffnock
- Mearns Castle High School, Glasgow
- Bearsden Academy
- Douglas Academy, Milngavie
- Gryffe High School, Houston
- Dunblane High School
- Williamwood High School, Glasgow
- James Gillespie’s High School, Edinburgh
Best Scottish schools 2022
Top independent secondary schools in Scotland
- George Heriot’s School, Edinburgh
- Hutchesons’ Grammar School, Glasgow
- The High School of Glasgow
- The Glasgow Academy
- St Mary’s Music School, Edinburgh
- St Margaret’s School for Girls, Aberdeen
- The Mary Erskine School, Edinburgh
- The Edinburgh Academy
- St Columba’s School, Kilmacolm
- Stewart Melville College, Edinburgh
Scottish schools League Tables 2021
Positions are compiled from the % of A grades scored at Advanced Highers.
Looking for other top UK schools 2022?