Welcome to our popular Best schools North West 2021 feature.
* * CONTENT last updated April 2021 * *
Features of the best schools North West 2021 listed below.
- A strong showing for primary schools in the northwest in this year’s Parent Power rankings.
- Took 81 / 500 of the Sunday Times places…
- Made up of 50 state secondary schools and 31 independents from the northwest.
- So the north west is one of the leading areas for good schools in the UK.
Greater Manchester is the epicentre of educational excellence in the region and is home to both of our Northwest Schools of the Decade.
Altrincham Grammar School for Girls
- Sunday Times’ Northwest State Secondary School of the Decade title.
- Best results among state schools in the region, with 91% of A-levels gaining A*-B grades in 2019.
- Only Withington Girls’ School, our Northwest Independent Secondary School of the Decade, can top that (93.3%) — but it is a tight race.
- A National Teaching School, the girls’ grammar is part of the Bright Futures Educational Trust, a multi-academy trust with schools across the region. Its members share expertise.
- Altrincham Grammar School for Girls is one of seven selective grammar schools in Trafford.
- Two other grammar school groups compete for honours in the northwest: the Wirral and Liverpool group of seven schools, and five in Lancashire and Cumbria.
- Just four grammar schools in the region achieved better results in 2019 than the Tauheedul Islam Girls’ High School and Sixth Form College, in Blackburn.
- Winner of our Northwest State Secondary School of the Year title last year, it ranked 37th in the UK on its first appearance in our rankings.
- No comprehensive school in the country secured better results, with 84.2% of A-levels graded A*-B.
- Founded in 1984 as an independent school, the college moved into the state sector 21 years later.
- The Muslim-faith school of more than 800 girls welcomes students of all faiths and none.
Just behind it in the regional rankings of comprehensive schools comes King David High School, in Manchester. Boys and girls at this Jewish faith school do well at A-level (72.3% A*-B last year) and achieve exceptional GCSE results for a mixed ability intake. It was 16th in the country in this sector with 45.7% of GCSEs graded 9-7 (A*/A).
Withington Girls’ School
- Similar dominance to Altrincham Grammar among the region’s state schools.
- Unbroken run at the top of the Northwest rankings despite competition from the boys of Manchester Grammar.
- 1 / 6 girls receive a bursary after a significant expansion in school numbers.
- About £775,000 is being spent this year on remission of senior school fees of between £4,211 and £4,333 per term.
- Withington Girls’ offers assistance to some families in the “squeezed middle” with household incomes as high as £70,000 a year.
- Although most receiving financial support have earnings of £50,000 or below.
The Manchester Grammar School
- Offers a comparable education for boys.
- Another former winner of our Northwest Independent Secondary School of the Year award.
- Combines a strong academic and sporting tradition.
- More than 200 of its 1,500 boys receive full or partial remission of fees through a generous bursary scheme. Those whose household income is less than £29,500 pay nothing.
There are thriving independent schools beyond the Manchester conurbation, notably the King’s School and Queen’s School in Chester, which consistently achieve A*-B A-level percentages in the mid-80s.
Windermere School, in Cumbria, which ranks ninth among the northwest independents, won our UK International Baccalaureate School of the Year award in 2017. Offering the broader-based IB qualification to sixth-formers, the small school of 360 children offers an outstanding education in idyllic surroundings at the heart of the Lake District, away from the bustle of city life.
Top state secondary schools in the Northwest
- Altrincham Grammar School for Girls
- Altrincham Grammar School for Boys
- The Blue Coat School, Liverpool
- Lancaster Girls’ Grammar School
- Tauheedul Islam Girls’ High School, Blackburn
- Loreto Grammar School, Altrincham
- Lancaster Royal Grammar School
- West Kirby Grammar School
- Sale Grammar School
- Wirral Grammar School for Girls, Bebington
- The King David High School, Manchester
- Clitheroe Royal Grammar School
- St Ambrose College, Altrincham
- Cheadle Hulme High School, Stockport
- Bacup and Rawtenstall Grammar School
- The Fallibroome Academy, Macclesfield
- Calday Grange Grammar School, West Kirby
- St Anselm’s College, Birkenhead
- Bishop Heber High School, Malpas
- Keswick School
Top independent secondary schools in the Northwest
- Withington Girls’ School, Manchester
- The Manchester Grammar School
- Manchester High School for Girls
- The King’s School, Chester
- The Grange School, Northwich
- Bolton School Girls’ Division
- The Queen’s School, Chester
- Cheadle Hulme School
- Windermere School
- Stockport Grammar School
- Chetham’s School of Music, Manchester
- Bolton School Boys’ Division
- The King’s School, Macclesfield
- Lime House School, Carlisle
- Birkenhead School, Wirral
- Merchant Taylors’ Girls’ School, Liverpool
- Alderley Edge School for Girls, Alderley Edge
- King William’s College, Isle of Man
- Merchant Taylors’ Boys’ School, Liverpool
- Bury Grammar School
Best schools north west 2021
Good schools North West 2021