Summary features of the best North East schools 2021 are listed below.
- Durham is clearly the region’s educational hotspot.
- It has the fewest schools overall in our state and independent rankings
- But it still manages to have a small number of the best schools in the country, achieving the highest grades at A-level and GCSE.
- Many schools in the northeast score well for the progress children make
- Has the lowest progression rates to higher education in England.
The vast majority of children are educated in the state sector, with just 10 independent schools featuring in our rankings. Only one of them has been a regular in the UK top 100 over the past 10 years: the Royal Grammar School (RGS), Newcastle, the outstanding candidate to win our Northeast Independent Secondary School of the Decade award.
Examination results in 2019 were typically top-notch, with more than 86% of A-levels securing A*-B grades and just under 84% of GCSEs graded A*/A or 9-7. Competition for places is keen, starting at prep school level. RGS Junior School has also been a model of consistency, ranking in the top 10 of our prep school rankings for almost all of the past 10 years.
The school, which has 1,300 pupils, hit the headlines in October when pupil Theo Wride, 16, became the youngest person to be honoured in the delayed Queen’s birthday honours.
- Was last year’s UK Comprehensive School of the Year and a former Northeast State Secondary School of the Year.
- Achieved the best state sector exam results in the region at A-level and GCSE every year in the past decade.
- Intake more socially mixed than its location near one of the UK’s top universities might imply.
- Entry requirements to the sixth form are stiffer than most, but the A-level outcomes are stellar.
- Last year, 77% of A-levels sat at the school returned A*-B grades, results that ranked Durham Johnston higher than 100 selective grammar schools.
- Is where Dominic Cummings went to school.
- Risen 90 places in our rankings. Its haul of A*-B grades at A-level has increased from 52.3% in 2013 to 71.1% in 2018.
- Durham High School for Girls, however, has fallen nearly 200 places in the national rankings since 2015.
Top state secondary schools in the Northeast
- Durham Johnston Comprehensive School
- Queen Elizabeth High School, Hexham
- Teesdale School, Barnard Castle
- Whitley Bay High School
- The King Edward VI School, Morpeth
- Carmel College, Darlington
- St Leonard’s RC School, Durham
- Framwellgate School, Durham
- Egglescliffe School, Stockton-on-Tees
- St Thomas More RC Academy, North Shields
- Ponteland High School, Newcastle
- Sacred Heart RC High School, Newcastle
- St Anthony’s Girls’ RC Academy, Sunderland
Top independent secondary schools in the Northeast
- Royal Grammar School, Newcastle
- Newcastle High School for Girls GDST
- Yarm School
- Dame Allan’s Girls’ School, Newcastle
- Dame Allan’s Boys’ School, Newcastle
- Durham High School for Girls
- Durham School
- Longridge Towers School, Berwick-upon-Tweed
- Westfield School, Newcastle
- Teesside High School, Stockton-on-Tees
Good North East schools 2021