Find the list for the Best London secondary schools below.
Best London secondary schools Guide
* * CONTENT last updated October 2021 * *
This year, London represented 86 of the top 500 state secondaries and 65 of the best independent schools.
Top of the London Schools Table
St Paul’s Girls’ School has topped the Sunday Times independent school rankings for nine years straight.
Similarly, Barnet’s highly selective boys’ grammar Queen Elizabeth’s topped the state secondary school rankings. It has been at the top for 5/7 years, with an average 98.8% A-level pass rate of at grades A*-B.
Such single-sex schools provide parents with an alternative – given that most UK schools are co-educational. This year the Sunday TImes also awarded:
- Boys’ grammar Wilson’s School, based in Wallington (South London) the award of London State Secondary School of the Decade.
- The Sunday Times’ London Independent School of the Decade award went to the co-educational, north London Highgate School.
Over the last three years, London’s Academy of Excellence Tottenham (Sunday Times’ Sixth Form College of the Year) has gone from strength to strength. Now, one in five of ts 2019 leavers achieved AAB or better at A-level in two or more “facilitating” subjects.
London Independent Secondary School of the Decade
…is Highgate School:
- Highgate raises money for hardship funds and laptops for schools that can’t afford them.
- Few independent schools can match Highgate’s efforts by staff and former students to promote social mobility through education.
- Eighty of Highgate’s teachers contribute to its Chrysalis programme, introduced in 2008. Last year alone, they gave timetabled classes and ran events in 51 participating schools for more than 3,500 children.
Top state secondary schools in London
- Queen Elizabeth’s School, Barnet
- Wilson’s School, Wallington
- The Henrietta Barnett School, Hampstead
- The Tiffin Girls’ School, Kingston upon Thames
- St Olave’s Grammar School, Orpington
- Tiffin School
- Sutton Grammar School
- Nonsuch High School for Girls, Cheam
- The Latymer School, Edmonton
- St Michael’s RC Grammar School, Finchley
- Newstead Wood School, Orpington
- Wallington County Grammar School
- Wallington High School for Girls
- Woodford County High School
- Camden School for Girls
- JCoSS (Jewish Community Secondary School)
- Townley Grammar School, Bexleyheath
- JFS, Harrow
- Twyford C of E High School, Acton
- Hasmonean High School for Boys, Hendon
- Ilford County High School
- The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School
- Waldegrave School, Twickenham
- Hasmonean High School for Girls, Mill Hill
- Bexley Grammar School, Welling
- The Charter School, Herne Hill
- The St Marylebone C of E School
- The London Oratory School, Fulham
- Fortismere School, Muswell Hill
- Alexandra Park School, Haringey
Top independent secondary schools in London
- St Paul’s Girls’ School, Hammersmith
- The Godolphin and Latymer School, Hammersmith
- King’s College School, Wimbledon
- St Paul’s School, Barnes
- Westminster School
- City of London School
- North London Collegiate, Edgware
- Hampton School
- University College School, Hampstead
- City of London School For Girls, Barbican
- Highgate School
- South Hampstead High School GDST
- Latymer Upper School, Hammersmith
- James Allen’s Girls’ School, Dulwich
- Eltham College, Mottingham
- Lady Eleanor Holles School, Hampton
- Wimbledon High School GDST
- Whitgift School, South Croydon
- Channing School, Highgate
- Putney High School GDST
- Alleyn’s School, Dulwich
- Trinity School, Croydon
- Notting Hill and Ealing High School GDST
- Dulwich College
- Bancroft’s School, Woodford Green
- Kingston Grammar School
- Sydenham High School GDST
- Ibstock Place School, Roehampton
- Surbiton High School, Kingston upon Thames
- Hampton Court House, East Molesey