There is a fee of GBP 1.99 to access this quiz.
What are CLOZE tests
There are two kinds of 11 Plus CLOZE verbal reasoning tests. CLOZE paragraphs and CLOZE words tests.
For CLOZE paragraphs, there is a word or more left out of a sentence or paragraph. The word options are sometimes provided, sometimes not.
For CLOZE word tests, letters in a specific word are omitted and your child will have to provide these.
CLOZE tests test a variety of skills, such as:
- grammar and
- knowledge of English
In addition to testing these, CLOZE tests also test whether a child can think critically and analytically about a test and the meaning as they are reading. Although these tests may be used in the classroom setting, it is also now part of the new CEM-style 11 Plus tests for grammar school entrance. It is expected to soon replace the old style verbal reasoning tests as they are known to be more robust. They also tend to be more ‘tutor-proof’
Tips for CLOZE verbal reasoning tests:
- read the whole passage before you choose the missing word
- use your knowledge of grammar and syntax. For example, knowing whether the word should be a noun, adjective, verb or adverb, might help in eliminating the incorrect options
- start with the ones you know or are familiar with
- make use of spelling rules if you are not familiar with the cloze word in question
- re-read the whole paragraph/sentence to make sure it makes sense
How do you prepare for CLOZE verbal reasoning tests
CEM has always endeavoured to make their tests ‘tutor-proof’ and this might just be their next step. As 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning CLOZE tests are becoming the new norm for CEM 11 Plus grammar school how do you prepare your child?
- Make sure they know their grammar and syntax. What is a verb, an adverb, a noun, an adjective and when do you use which.
- Get them to know and apply spelling rules. Have ‘spelling bees’ around the dinner table or on the way to school get
- Assure they have a good vocabulary. Take a new ‘word of the day’ every day. Make sure they know the meaning and try and use it in conversations with you throughout the day.
Most importantly, make sure your child is not stressed for this. Our brains and especially those of our children, just cannot work as it should under too much pressure. Have a look at our How Stressed is Your Child quiz to see if they might need some help. We also provide some good methods to reduce stress.
1) Ask yourself, is now the best time to start your 11+ Prep for 2019?
2) If so, then here is Everything you need to know about differences in Grammar School applications. You need to consider 11 Plus Exam By UK Region.
– If you are considering those grammar schools in Outer London then we have a useful London Grammar school list.
– Otherwise, England’s other grammar schools are accessed from this regional grammar school list.
3) Are the grammar schools of interest CEM 11+ exam Grammar schools. If so focus on School Entrance Tests’ 11 plus practice tests of CEM 11 Plus type.
* Our 7-Step guide is designed for busy parents!
5) So, select the most relevant 11 plus exams from our comprehensive list of 11 Plus Past Exam Papers.
7) Here’s School Entrance Tests’s own tips for passing the 11 plus and further 11 plus tests:
- 11 Plus Maths practice: Firstly, our useful mental Maths practice. You may also find these CAT Practice Tips Intro
- Our 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Practice: In our opinion these are some of the best 11 plus tips for Verbal Reasoning. Next, the School Entrance Tests 11+ Verbal Reasoning Practice. Here is our book on Passing Verbal Reasoning Tests
- Our English 11 plus test practice and 11 plus English tips: firstly, to improve your literacy Secondly, practice to improve your spelling and grammar. Thirdly, some general 11 plus English tips.
- 11 Plus non verbal reasoning tips: We are very proud of our 11 Plus non verbal reasoning article with the City Kids magazine.
Don’t miss out on these
Practising this online test will also help you to become familiar with taking online 11 Plus tests.
When time is limited make use of our very handy 10-minute quizzes,
including a free Ten-Minute Maths Test for 11Plus and a range of very reasonably priced 10-minute quizzes: