Here are our University application tips. What can you do to ensure your application process goes well.
University application tips
It’s estimated that over 500,000 Sixth Formers are applying to University this year. That means many more individual University applications.
In theory, it’s now possible to start University in January. It’s certainly another option to complete your degree in two and a half years instead of three.
University application deadline
- Your application should be submitted several weeks before the end of 2018. Early offers can be made several weeks after Universities receive an application. That means applying early could mean have a University place in time for Christmas!
- Anyone applying through school or College must submit by the end of November regardless. This is to allow teachers sufficient time for checking applications and for including their reference.
- Oxbridge and other course providers may require additional tests / interviews. So, remember that these will have a deadline too.
University application advice
- Give your course prospectus and University Website a very careful final check for any special entry requirements. For example, some work experience (such as nursing courses require), or a portfolio (such as art courses require).
- If you attend an early interview then the above special requirements will be one of the main discussion topics.
- Even if it is not a pre-requisite, work experience is a great way to boost your personal statement. It clearly demonstrates a firm commitment to your specialist area.
- A strong personal statement will join up your personal experience with your skills and qualifications to date. Skills can be based on those extra-curricular activities, such as Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and volunteer work.
Top Girls schools in London / Independent school parent guide / University application tips / My GCSE choices / How to become a Data Scientist / Most popular grammar schools / Cyber-security threats / 11 plus exam differences / How to become a software engineer / What is the best education for my children?